This seminar will focus on the basics of Tendering and Contract law as it applies to the construction industry.
Subjects to include:
- Basic Contract Law principles with specific discussion of the 1981 Supreme Court Ron Engineering decision – the creation of Contract ‘A’ when a contractor submits a bid and the formation of Contract ‘B’ when the Owner accepts the bid.
- Rights and obligations of the contractor and subcontractors.
- What are your options when confronted with an unacceptable provision or contract?
- Rights and obligations of the owner – Privilege Clause – Can an owner arbitrarily accept any bid without giving any reason? MJB Enterprises
- What are damages if there is a breach of a contract between an owner and a contractor? Likewise between a contractor and subcontractor.
- Mistakes in Tenders
- Key construction contract provisions – payment, changes, notice provisions, termination, dispute resolution. The importance of maintaining a detailed paper trail.
- Andrew Ferguson of MBC Law Professional Corporation
- Debbie Bellinger of Nelligan O’Brien Payne
- John Melia of Borden Ladner Gervais