To honour Catherine’s impressive legacy of personal and professional achievement, her family, friends, and colleagues have chosen to establish the Catherine Helen MacLean Memorial Fund at the University of Ottawa.
This fund will advance the awareness of issues related to labour law and Human Rights law – the hallmarks of Catherine’s legal career. Initiatives include needs-based scholarships, a special lecture series, and other similar endeavors. To help achieve this goal, the partners of Nelligan O’Brien Payne LLP have committed to a leadership gift of $50,000.
The decision to establish the fund at the University of Ottawa was a natural one. Catherine was committed to the practice of law in both official languages and was well-known for her considerable litigation skills. For many years she taught the immensely popular Trial Advocacy Course at the Common Law Section.
The Catherine Helen MacLean Memorial Fund will be commemorating Catherine’s life and her vision of legal practice and legal education.
If you have any questions or would like to make a donation, please do not hesitate to contact the Faculty of Law (613-562-5800, ext. 3420).
Recipients of the Catherine Helen MacLean Memorial Entrance Bursary include:
(Offered for the first time in 2005-2006)
- 2005-2006: Colombo, Anna
- 2006-2007: Sullivan, Martha Mary
- 2007-2008: Hansford, Vanessa
- 2008-2009: Murtha, Sean
- 2009-2010: Gida, Inderpreet Singh
- 2010-2011: Courtemanche, Ariane
- 2011-2012: Duquette, Jocelyn
- 2012-2013: Larochelle, Jonatan
- 2013-2014: McInnis, Tanner
- 2014-2015: Michel, Elsa
- 2015-2016: Horrigan, Joseph
- 2016-2017: Rhodes, Colleen
- 2017-2018: Hristov, Tara
Recipients of the Catherine Helen MacLean Memorial Upper-Year Bursary include:
- 2004-2005: Lena, Natasha Gitanjali
- 2005-2006: Smith, Brennagh Rae
- 2006-2007: Palacio, Natasha and Turner, Saro J. W.
- 2007-2008: Friedman, Solomon Chaim
- 2008-2009: Mulaire, Danielle
- 2009-2010: Morphew, Anne Marie
- 2010-2011: Loewen, Shea
- 2013-2014: Dawed Ibrahim, Selawit
- 2014-2015: Strychar-Bodnar, Mark
- 2015-2016: Brunet, Albert
- 2016-2017: Tian, Judy Zi
Recipients of the Catherine Helen MacLean Prize in Labour Law include:
- 2004-2005: Therrien, Diane Marie-Ange
- 2005-2006: Lucyk, Scott Andrew
- 2006-2007: Marshall, Erik James Broughton
- 2007-2008: Shugarman, Julie
- 2008-2009: Dupuis, Marie-France
- 2009-2010: Sarginson, Amanda
- 2010-2011: Bay, Odelia
- 2011-2012: Milligan, Falon
- 2013-2014: Alice Rys, Julia
- 2014-2015: Haché-Chiasson, Guillaume
- 2015-2016: Geddes, Alexander, Mercier, Jason, and Teeple Hopkins, Morgan
- 2016-2017: Labelle, Karina and Duffet, Fabienne
Catherine Helen MacLean Memorial Lecture
The Catherine Helen MacLean Memorial Lecture takes place once every two years at the University of Ottawa and is supported by the Catherine Helen MacLean Memorial Fund. The lectures include presentation by various experts in the labour and employment fields, and are open to university faculty, law students, and the labour and employment community. Lecture topics stem from Catherine’s interests in federal public service law and human rights law.
Past lecturers featured:
- Janice Payne – 2005 – “Are Human Rights Commissions Still Relevant”
- Andrew Raven – 2007 – “The role of unions and collective bargaining in the defence of individual human rights”Michael Lynk – 2009 – “Human Rights at Work: The Future of Rights in the Workplace”
- Judy Fudge – 2011 – “Labour Rights as Human Rights: The Role of Courts”
- Peter Barnacle – 2012 – “Workplace Harassment in Employment Law: Approaches and Problems in Developing Effective Remedies in a Matrix of Common Law and Legislative Responses“.
- Professor Irwin Cotler – 2016 – “Towards a Human Rights Foreign Policy for Canada”.