Nelligan O’Brien Payne LLP’s Municipal Law practice group has extensive experience in all aspects of municipal law, local government, and land use planning and development.
Services provided to municipalities and local governments include:
- Amalgamation, annexation, and restructuring advice
- Municipal by-law interpretation, drafting, and litigation
- Municipal law opinions
- Preparation of municipal resolutions, staff reports, and other documentation
- Licensing matters
- Property tax and assessment appeals
- Public-private partnerships (P3)
- Financing transactions
- Transportation issues
- Construction and project management agreements
- Representation before all levels of trial and appellate courts, regulatory boards, administrative tribunals, municipal councils, and committees
- Alternative dispute resolution, including mediation and arbitration
Our firm has been providing municipal law services for over 25 years. We represent municipalities on a wide range of municipal, planning, development, finance, and assessment matters. Our lawyers represent these clients before boards, tribunals and the courts, including the Ontario Municipal Board, the Ontario Court of Justice, and the Assessment Review Board.
We are active in professional associations such as the Ottawa-Carleton Home Builders Association, the Ottawa Construction Association, and the International Municipal Lawyers Association.
Our municipal law lawyers provide legal services throughout Ontario, in both official languages.